Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Last of the Donruss Bubblegum Cards, 1965

Today I am posting the last seven bubblegum cards from the series of 66 produced by the Donruss company to celebrate Disneyland's "first fabulous decade". Sorry it took so long (well over a year, and a total of 10 posts)!  

Card #60: Peter Pan welcomes Disneyland visitors to Fantasyland. 

Remember when they used to use young ladies to play Peter? Just like the stage versions. Nowadays it seems like they use guys.


Card #61: Disneyland Astrojet enables guests to "pilot" their own jet though a fast-moving journey.

Their enabling has made me co-dependant.


Card #62: Indian war canoes transport Disneyland visitors down the Rivers of America in Frontierland.

When you think about it, canoes were the Segways of the Frontier.


Card #63: Disneyland tour guide points out exhibits and shops along Town Square and Main Street.

Tour Guide: "Do you see that thing under there?"

Puzzled guest: "Under where?"

Tour Guide: "Ha ha, you said 'underwear'!".


Card #64: Davy Crockett Fort marks entrance to Frontierland at Disneyland.

Davy Crockett Fort?? That's a new one to me. Whoever can confirm this information will win the hand of my fair daughter and a knighthood.


Card #65: Disneyland Mad Hatter's Tea Party features a merry whirl in spinning cups and twirling saucers.

Spinning and twirling and spinning and twirling and spinning and.... URP.


And finally... Card #66: Tomorrowland Autopia allows drivers some "Freeway" fun.

There is nothing more fun than a Southern California freeway.


Once upon a time I happened upon this higher-res version of the same photo (presumably a publicity photo) used in card #66. What a beauty!


I hope you have enjoyed looking at this entire set of Donruss bubblegum cards!


10 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

The resolution may be lacking, but the images form this series are still great. Thanks for sharing the entire set.

Chuck said...

I also appreciate you sharing the entire set, Major. It's been fun to see these revealed over the past year and a half or so.

Interesting how the aspect changes in the last two images from vertical to horizontal, which gives each a slightly different and unique flavor. I wonder if the original image was captured with a square-negative, medium-format camera?

K. Martinez said...

Yes, thanks for sharing the entire set. It was actually nice to have them spread out over time. Now that it has concluded, I think I'm going to take a look-see at my own set. It's been years since I've looked at them. Thanks, Major.

Pegleg Pete said...

Thanks, Major. These have been fun. And despite the captioning inaccuracies, they have often yielded some welcome and interestingly unorthodox angles on familiar views.

Alonzo P Hawk said...

I love the Autopia/Monorail photo! So many cars and so close together. They would never allow that today (too much whiplash).

The folks on the monorail with arms casually out the window. This one is a gem. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

How strange to see no beam turning South, over the foliage and out of the park.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the whole set, Major. Great memories.

That last shot looked funny until I realized, just like the above poster, that it's a Mark I and it's not leaving the park.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, I do kind of wish they had used coated stock instead of rather low-grade cardboard. But they never imagined that anybody would care 50 years later.

Chuck, that’s an interesting question… I have no idea what sort of camera the average professional photographer would have used back in those days.

K. Martinez, it’s a great set! I see the “puzzle-back” variety come up pretty regularly, but can’t remember the last time I saw a blue-back set.

Pegleg Pete, I did get a kick out of the inaccuracies; as I said to Nanook, I’m sure they never imagined anybody would notice or care!

Alonzo, I recall plenty of trips on the Autopia when the cars were close together. The last time, a little girl seemed to be having problems driving her car and kept stopping. And I remember being surprised when I first noticed that people could hang an elbow out of the Monorail windows!

Anonymous, I’m so disoriented in that Autopia photo that I will have to take your word for it! I can’t tell which direction we are looking (east, I think?).

Patrick Devlin, it was fun going through them again, those cards are among my favorite vintage Disneyland items.

Unknown said...

Major, here's an aerial from that other fabulous photo-blogger Dave deCaro that shows excactly where that shot was taken: http://davelandweb.com/aerial/images/Aerial_59_61_G-129.jpg

You can see how the Monorail does a little reverse curve coming out of the station before curving left to climb over the Monorail beam that leads off from passing over the Submarine Voyage waterfalls. The shot is looking south and you can just see the Tomorrowland Station railings in the background.

By the way, I really like that aerial shot: Tomorrowland brand new and off in the distance you can see Frontierland with the Plantation House restaurant still there. It's just before any memories of mine but it's close.

K. Martinez said...

@Major

Speaking of inaccuracies, I do remember Walt Disney himself referring to the "Sleeping Beauty Castle" as "Snow White's Castle" on his weekly anthology show back in the 1950's. Go figure.