Friday, February 28, 2014

Frontierland Instamatics

It's time for more vintage Instamatics!

Let's start with this unusual (and lovely) view of the Mark Twain as it takes on passengers at the dock. I can't recall seeing any other photos from this perspective. Where was our photographer (good old "Mr. X") standing?


This next photo should help; but first, let's just enjoy the beautiful Columbia on a perfect day; blue sky and fluffy white clouds… folks aboard the raft in the foreground are wearing sweaters, so it can't be summer. Notice the blue and green walls along the shore, which must have something to do with the construction of New Orleans Square (I suppose).


I zoomed in toward the left side of the photo, and even though it is not very sharp, we can still see that there are many people on the balcony of the Golden Horseshoe building. It even looks like some folks are sitting with their legs dangling over the edge!


Wrapping things up, how about one more shot of the Mark Twain, framed by the leaves of magnolia trees. I love the color on this one!


11 comments:

Nanook said...

Once again Mr. X has provided stunning views of the Rivers of America's fine vessels - especially #1, from the Golden Horseshoe balcony. Thank you. Thank you.

TokyoMagic! said...

Wow, I never knew that the public was ever allowed out on the balcony of the Golden Horseshoe. Now I want to go out there! Maybe the walls were around the river because they were taking out the plants and rocks on the shore and putting the railings all the way around it? I'm not sure when that change was made. Was it done at the same time that New Orleans Square was being built?

Pegleg Pete said...

Great pics today, Major – the Rivers of America in their prime! Thanks for sharing them, Mr. X.

Melissa said...

I don;t remember seeing those international flags before; were they always there, or was there a special event going on?

K. Martinez said...

Wonderful images today. I like the different styles of lampposts along the river. Thanks, Major and Mr. X.

Tom said...

These are beautiful shots, between the fantastic colors and the unusual angles. Great photos today!

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, I am constantly thanking Mr. X!

TokyoMagic!, I think maybe I've seen a photo or two on other blogs (possibly Daveland) showing people on the balcony; in fact, I was just going through my scans, and out of the thousands of Frontierland pictures, there is only one more that looks like it was taken from up there. I'm sure you are right about the construction walls… what else could it be?

Pegleg Pete, I'm glad you liked these!

Melissa, I'll have to go back and look at old photos, but I was the same - I don't remember the international flags either.

K. Martinez, if you've ever looked at the "passport2dreams" blog, she has done some amazing photo essays of the variety of light fixtures at the Magic Kingdom.

Tom, good ol' Mr. X deserves all the praise.

Anonymous said...

I believe the flags are representative of the countries that laid claim to and occupied portions of the American West in the 1800s. KS

Melissa said...

No babushkae, but I do spot a sailor hat in that last picture. It's hard to tell if there's a sailor suit behind all that tall grass, but I'm prepared to call hello sailor on that one.

"HELLOOO, SAILOR!"

Connie Moreno said...

I think that Mr. X may have used a zoom lens for that shot. I know I tried to get out on the balcony but could not so I zoomed in with my camera and got a similar shot. Now, if I could only find that picture....

Nancy said...

what a gorgeous picture of the Columbia! I am in awe :-0