Friday, July 19, 2013

Beautiful Tomorrowland, August 13, 1960

I want to live in this first photo, featuring a fantabulous view of Tomorrowland! The slides have the specific date of "August 13, 1960" on them... back in February I posted a few other pictures from this lot, and wanted to include the information about that day once more (data provided by Jason's Disneyland Almanac):

August 13 was a Saturday; the park was open from 8 a.m. until 1 a.m. The high temperature was a comfy 83˚ Fahrenheit, with a low of 61˚. Attendance was 35,622. It was a "Date Nite", so special 2-admission ticket books were sold to allow couples in after 5 o'clock.

This might be one of my favorite pictures ever, the blue sky, brilliant color, composition, clarity, and the primo view of classic Tomorrowland all combine to make me happy.


From the same lot comes this unusual angle of the Monorail station. It was a bit dark, but still nice. Anything different is nice! The red Monorail and pair of Skyway buckets are welcome details.

9 comments:

Nanook said...

Major-

Both are great shots. The forced perspective in the second image makes it appear the blue Skyway car is about to run into Monorail Red. Thankfully everyone's insurance premium is Paid in Full.

K. Martinez said...

That second image is awesome. The "MONORAIL" font looks great on the simple side marquee with flower beds below. Really nice pic.

Chuck said...

These photos are a great start to a Friday!

I love the soles on the shoes of the woman wearing the white dress in the second photo. They scream "comfortable for a long day on your feet."

Wish we had August 13th, 1960 temperatures today in the central Mid-west...

Anonymous said...

Oh, I remember the pointed tail lights on the monorail, how they resembled the cars in the Parking Lot. So cool.

JG

K. Martinez said...

@JG - Interesting. After looking it up, I discovered that those pointed tail lights were featured exclusively on the Mark I. I never really differentiated that when looking at the various Disneyland monorails. I discover something new all the time reading comments from other GDB readers. Thanks.

Melissa said...

I agree with Chuck; the ladies in the second picture have a real jaunty spring in their step. I bet I'd have trouble keeping up with them!

Major Pepperidge said...

Nanook, I thought the same thing when I saw the Skyway/Monorail juxtaposition.

K. Martinez, I'm just happy that it is not one of the usual views!

Chuck, I just looked at weather.com, it seems the entire country is experiencing high temps (except for San Francisco).

JG, I wonder how large those tail light cones were? A foot long? Were they actual cones from some old Cadillac or were they custom-made?

K. Martinez, now I'll have to look up the later Monorail incarnations as well and do a comparison.

Melissa, why walk when you can ride a motorized "Rascal"? All the cool kids are doing it.

Tom said...

That first shot is picture perfect. Seriously, if I had no other image of Disneyland to look at ever again, this one would be enough. Now if only the peoplemover could be in that shot too... but I ask for too much.

Nancy said...

Wow! Monorail Blue looking as nice as any other picture I have seen :)