Thursday, April 18, 2013

Vintage Bottle Caps!

Here are some unusual vintage Disney collectibles dating back to the early 1930's; old bottle caps featuring four classic characters. I don't know much about them, but assume that they could be found on bottles of various Mickey Mouse sodas that were sold circa 1932. The Mickey Mouse cap on the left is not too hard to find, but the other three seem to be pretty scarce. Mickey is seen in his familiar "walking and waving" pose, while Minnie waves an amiable "Hello". 


Pluto "The Dog" (not "The Pup"?!) and the lovely Clarabelle Cow get to star on their own bottle caps; I'm always happy to see Clarabelle, who was phased out as her design made her too primitive. I wonder if a character had his own soda flavor, of it they were used randomly. And have any of you seen other caps with other characters? Horace Horsecollar, Goofy, maybe even Donald back when his bill was longer?


Here's a picture of a bottle of Mickey Mouse "Lime Rickey" soda - I don't own this, unfortunately, but found the photo on the interwebs. I've seen these bottles sell for hundreds of dollars! There is also a ginger ale flavor, and another that just says "Carbonated Beverage". Once I was in an antiques store in the midwest that had several bottles - still full! For some stupid reason I didn't buy even one, and I'll bet the price was a lot less than the auction totals I've seen online.


10 comments:

Melissa said...

Mickey is serving an invisible pizza, Minnie is turning an invisible doorknob, and Clarabelle is reaching for her invisible six-shooters.

These are absolutely adorable!

Major Pepperidge said...

Melissa, I guess Pluto is doing something invisible too!

K. Martinez said...

Nice Set! So do you think there's a Dippy Dawg bottle cap? That would be cool.

Chuck said...

A Dippy Dawg bottle cap? Come on - that's be goofy.

Nanook said...

In spite of Mickey being the anointed 'head honcho' of Disneyland, as all good Cast Members should know, the Disney way of giving directions is using 2 fingers. He looks dangerously close to violating that rule.

So much for Mickey's chances at being a tour guide.

Anonymous said...

Very cool things, Major. Thanks.

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

K. Martinez, these are the only ones I've seen; there almost have to be more out there, but I can't find any info.

Chuck, OUCH.

Nanook, I am more concerned about the button in the palm of his glove. Seems like a bad idea.

JG, I wish I had more of this kind of stuff!

Robert said...

There are quite a few others, around 14 or so that I know of.
There are 3 variations of Mickey plus a gold one, 2 Clarabelle, 1 Minnie, 2 Horsecollar, 3 Plutos, a Dippy and yes, a Goofy as well. I've also been told there is a Minnie with a green dress but never seen it. To see them all, go to crowncapclub.org, do quick search and use the word Disney.

Major Pepperidge said...

Thanks Robert! I couldn't get crowncapclub.org, so I did bottlecapclub.org, and saw the ones I think you referred to. Wow, wish I had some of those other examples.

Robert said...

Sorry for the confusion, you are correct on the website. Some of the rarer caps can set you back almost $200 or more.