Friday, December 23, 2011

Knott's Wagons, May 1960

If you're gonna have a western-themed amusement park, there are going to be wagons. And Knott's Berry Farm had a bunch of them!


Here is the huge, strange-looking contraption that was apparently used to haul logs hither and yon. It counts as a wagon, doesn't it? Sure it does (*hands the judge a 20-dollar bill*). They didn't want you to climb on this thing, but provided sturdy ladders so that you could climb next to it, which is mighty neighborly. This wagon is still there, by the way.


This wagon is decaying in a pleasingly picturesque manner. It was abandoned here by frontier teenagers who stole it for a joy ride. They were hopped up on buttermilk and cornbread!


The Wagon Camp was where you would find a circle of authentic-looking conestoga wagons around the rim of a stony amphitheater. Lucky guests who arrived early could sit in one of them to watch the Wagonmasters perform, or to watch square-dancing and jello wrestling. Yeee-HAW!


I will be out of town for the next several days, but never fear, there will be new posts every day. I'll try to check in and respond to comments whenever I can.

12 comments:

Connie Moreno said...

Well no wonder I could never get a seat in one of those wagons...jell-o wrestling would have been too much for my innocent eyes! Merry Christmas, Major.

TokyoMagic! said...

Is that orange-colored steel (off in the distance of the first pic) the Mine Train under construction? I think we are looking in that direction and it would have been the right time frame wouldn't it?

TokyoMagic! said...

P.S. There's ALWAYS room for Jello!

bloefeld said...

I grew up very close to Knott's and went there quite a lot as a kid. I remember all these wagons so well. Looking at these photos I can almost taste the boysenberry punch. Happy Holidays, Major!

JG said...

Ha, that wagon is just like me!

"...decaying in a pleasingly picturesque manner".

Thanks Major, happy holidays everyone.

JG

JG said...

Going off now to huff buttermilk and cornbread.

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

Connie, back in the old days, jello wrestling was a respected tradition.

TM!, good eyes (again!), I believe you are right! And I am more of a pudding man myself. Mmmm, pudding...

bloefeld, I lived near Knott's for only about 3 years, but it was enough to earn my love!

JG, I think we are all like that wagon. Happy holidays to you too!

Douglas McEwan said...

Once I saw Andy Devine hosting a show in that wagon circle.

TokyoMagic! said...

I saw Elvis perform in the Wagon Camp once.....come to think of it, it was an Elvis impersonator. He performed at Knott's every summer.

. said...

The first shot is of the Old Logging Wheels, while the second is of the Conestoga Wagon. Amazingly enough, after nearly 70 years, both attractions are still at Knott's!!!

Unknown said...

My family traveled to Anaheim each summer and we always went to Knotts and Disneyland. We had tons and tons of pictures of each place but none of the circle of wagon trains - brings back great memories ~
I also showcase recently-converted 35 mm slides from 1959 through 1972 on my blog thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

Frances Olney said...

Yes! I saw him too. it was an exciting time & it's brought back good times when you're growing up.I wish that they had more of that Thank you for bringing back good memories