Monday, August 01, 2011

Matterhorn, January 1974

The magnificent Matterhorn is still one of my favorite sights at Disneyland. Just a few weeks ago I was driving on Interstate 5, had a two-second glimpse of it, and I felt happier. True story.

The park just opened, and the hub is freshly scrubbed and polished, as all good hubs should be. Look, there's still an exposed fire hydrant to the right. The Matterhorn has been liberally dusted with powdered sugar and filled with raspberry jelly. Kids can't resist it!


Dad can't seem to figure out how to fasten his safety belt, and his little girl is getting annoyed. "Get the lead out, daddy!" she screams in her cigarette-roughened voice, and it's just making him more frustrated. You'll see tears soon.

9 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

I can almost hear her now....kind of a cross between Lucille Ball and Krusty The Clown. Not pretty, but it commands attention from everyone around her.

Chiana_Chat said...

Yes the Matterhorn has that effect; no matter the decade. In '74, that kid is off a-runnin' for the Matterhorn just like I would!

Hm maybe that's Chris Montez with the 'burns and he's actually signing an autograph. Meantime, while Mother is working on the restraints, the cast member is bracing for the hazardous part of his job, offering Mattermallows to the abominable snowkid in back.

Nice flowers and the rocks... gee I love that Matterhorn. :)

JG said...

A great couple of shots of the best moments in the Park.

I wish I could see the Matterhorn, just for two seconds. My screen backdrops will have to do.

Thanks, Major.

JG

dfan07 said...

What does that sign in Alpine Gardens say? (Something) Trail, I think.

Nancy said...

dfan07, I was wondering that too. i am a sign person, after all....

love the Matterhorn with more snow, all sparkly and white!! i too wish i could see it in person more often

thanks for the nice pictures today :)

Katella Gate said...

The sign says "Photo Trail" with the red GAF logo next to the text. GAF took over from Kodak (as I recall) as the "official sponsor" of photography at Disneyland, and the sings were intended to call attention to spots that would result in particularly good photographs.

I'm sure these signs are today responsible for the tons of nearly identical pictures we have of Tom Sawyer's Island, the castle, the Matterhorn....

Chuck said...

You mean you can take pictures away from the signs? Holy smokes - that's opened up a whole new world for me!

Connie Moreno said...

Major, I know exactly how you feel. Seeing the Matterhorn from the 5 would always make me smile. Now that I'm in Riverside, I won't be seeing it as I approach the Park. *sigh*

Vaughn said...

We would drive the two miles from our house to I-5 then turn South, then 1,151 miles, and two days later, there to the right would be the Matterhorn. I would get excited like I was 12 years old again while my kids in the back would barely look up from their Gameboys with a grunt.