Thursday, February 17, 2011

I Heart Jungleland!

Long-time readers of this blog know a little about Jungleland in Thousand Oaks, California. If you're not too busy, see some older posts here and here, for a little history.


This first photo (circa 1959) is interesting to me; it's a great view of the entrance to the park. Thanks to the big sign, we know that we haven't accidentally pulled into the parking lot of the ostrich farm that was right up the street. Jungleland was certainly around before 1959, so I'm not sure why the sign says "Now Open - The Future Home of JUNGLELAND". Does anybody else have a guess? Meanwhile, check out the tail fins on that car!


This cute little girl appears in a couple of photos that will eventually appear on this blog. Here she is riding on the same mechanical baby elephant that was seen in a previous photo.


I'll have more Jungleland for you in the future!

8 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

The base of that elephant looks like it has something written on the side of it...the name of the elephant perhaps? I see a T-u-s and maybe a "k"....Tusky?

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

What fun pics! Never seen that sign or building before, too cool!

We used to "hang out" in the abandon park at nite in the early 80's until the Ventura County Sheriff spoiled all the fun!

Connie Moreno said...

What cool photos! Love 'em!

JG said...

Neat place, Major. Thank you!

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

TM, your guess is as good as any! My other photo doesn't show a name.

VDT, it kills me that I never went to explore the abandoned site when I was a kid. It sat there for years, and I just ignored it. Oh man! If only I had known.

Connie and JG, thanks!

Donald Burdette said...

I remember going there as a kid. We lived in Oxnard at the time and used to drive up to T.O. once in a while and eat at Whizzens (?) and go to Jungleland.

Major Pepperidge said...

Donald, I certainly remember signs for Whizins restaurant. "Hungry? Whizins!". There is still a Whizins Plaza, but it is no longer own by the original family.

Anonymous said...

Went to Jungleland the day Kennedy was assassinated. Being only 11 at the time didn't realize the significance of that day till years later.