Sunday, June 20, 2010

Panorama Postcards, Part 1

I have mentioned my Disneyland postcard collection before; it was a lot of fun hunting down all of the cards that I needed at countless postcard shows (and ebay of course). There are still a few that I'd love to find, but have to admit that I haven't been looking very diligently for the past few years. ANYWAY, today I am sharing scans from my favorite series of postcards - the panoramas! They're twice as wide as your ordinary card, which allowed for some pretty stunning landscape views. I believe that these must date from around 1956 or '57, and some of them can be pretty rare; it took me a while to get the whole set.

Here's a neat view looking up Main Street as the Disneyland Band makes a turn. I wonder how much effort was made in composing these photos, since the Surrey is to the right, and those two ladies in the Emporium doorway are juuuust right.


The little green Mine Train looks fantastic as it traverses the Living Desert and those mysterious tumbling boulders. The rock work is a bit primitive, but that just adds to the charm in my opinion.


Here's the Dance Circle in a great portrait; this card is interesting because a standard-size card was also printed from the photo ("C-13") showing the center part with the Indians.


And lastly (for today), the Stagecoach passes by with its teeny-tiny horses.


I'll have more of the panoramas coming up!

8 comments:

Chuck said...

Putting the shorter horses up front ensures that the second pair have a good forward view of something other than the leaders' behinds. One more example of Disney's attention to detail to enrich not only the guests' experiences but also those of the equine cast members.

The Viewliner Limited said...

DL postcards are cool. These DL postcards are awesome. Great stuff.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Rare indeed, I almost never see these on eBay and when I do, yikes - they aint 15¢ anymore!

The Stagecoach one is my favorite, whats not to like about teeny-tiny horses? Just add some sardinian monkey's and it would be the cats meow!

Great post - Thanks!

Katella Gate said...

Beautiful cards... stupid me didn't even know this type of card existed for Disneyland. And I learned something about looking over horse-rumps too. I need to try that out at the next cocktail party.

SundayNight said...

Those are nice. I wonder what kind of camera they used?

TokyoMagic! said...

VERY nice...I didn't know these existed either. Looking forward to seeing more!

The Blue Parrot said...

These cards look like they might have been images from the wide-screen "People and Places - Disneyland".

Nancy said...

the stagecoach one is definitely my favorite :)

thanks for sharing these. i have a few for WDW; didnt realize they are so rare until seeing the comments here. i feel pretty lucky about them now!