Friday, October 10, 2008

Two From Knott's

Happy Friday, everybody! Today I am offering two interesting slides from Knott's Berry Farm, circa 1960.

As you can see in this first one, the Calico Mine Train building is nearly finished, but it still has some construction going on in the foreground. Bags of cement sit near worker's trucks, while signs direct lost guests towards the Shootin' Gallery and the Haunted Shack. You can just barely make out some black and white photos of the freaky things that happen inside the Haunted Shack (i.e. somebody standing at an impossible angle - - because of g-g-g-ghosts)!


Here another picture from April of 1960, mostly featuring the huge steam train. But just above the train you can see that there are some steel beams for the Calico Mine Train, it is obviously a few months earlier in its construction when compared to the first photo. I'm glad that this classic attraction is still around for folks to enjoy... I haven't been to Knott's for many years, but the Calico Mine Train and the Log Ride are almost enough to make me go just by themselves!

7 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

I LOVE these photos, Major. I have never seen early Knott's construction shots before. I do remember going to Knott's as a kid when they were building the tower for the Skyjump parachute drop. I wish I had taken a picture of it with my Kodak instamatic camera!

Anonymous said...

The thing about the Knott's train that I remember is that it plows right across the pedestrian walkway. I haven't been there in decades ('84) but even as a kid it seemed kinda strange that there was no safety barrier between me and this gigantic locomotive.

The Viewliner Limited said...

I can smell the steam and bearing grease now. Show me a train and you have made my day.

Nancy said...

as a new member of the blog, i have been looking back thru the previously-posted photos of Knott's Berry, as ive never been there. only been to DL 3 times, and hoping to make it there during a future trip. thanks as always for great pictures! :D

Chris Jepsen said...

Fascinating construction shot! I only wish we could read more of the signs!

outsidetheberm said...

Great shots!

One of the strangest postcards we have in our collection is from the Cummins & Barnard Consulting Engineers Company of Michigan - it shows the Calico Mine Ride under construction. Their California office of Matson & Riley designed the structural frame for the attraction. It's really a unique card.

Anonymous said...

*g-g-g-giggles

If one loves trains, one should make sure to go see the Knotts trains! The Mine Ride is super-neat too. :)