Monday, February 18, 2008

"Up, Up, and Away..." with TWA

Speedy the intern returns today with two beautiful images for you, featuring the TWA Rocket to the Moon.

Here's a fantastic photo circa 1957, and yes, there is the thrilling rocket, poised to leap into outer space as soon as that shiny red button up in the cockpit is pressed. Speedy asked me to Photoshop out that Skyway cable, but I gently reminded him that it wouldn't be kosher to do that. It's OK Speedy, we understand! Meanwhile, I love the 50's families below, especially the girl in her floucy skirt. We also see the shades over Hobbyland, where so many rare Disneyland treasures were sold.

Almost as interesting is the view outside the park. Anaheim really was still farm community back then, see for yourself.


Next up, Speedy wanted to share this spectacular travel poster from TWA. If you can't have one of the original silkscreened attraction posters of the rocket, than this is the next best thing. It is a lithograph, although the bright pink/red on the rocket and the yellow lettering both look silkscreened on if you ask me. Check out the inaccurate depictions of the castle and train station...artistic license, or was the poster produced before those buildings had actually been built? The rocket itself was certainly portrayed accurately. Meanwhile, up in the eye-popping sky, we see a classic four engine, propeller-driven Lockheed Constellation with its distinctive triple tail. Introduced in 1943, it was an extremely popular aircraft, but jets eventually made it obsolete. The "Connie" still has legions of fans around the world.


Great job, Speedy! At this rate, it won't be long until your promoted to vice president of Gorilla Industries.

10 comments:

CoxPilot said...

Fantastic shot of Tomorrowland pre-Flight Circle. It would soon be right in the middle, in front of the rocket.

The Viewliner Limited said...

Wonderful picture of the Moonliner and the poster is awesome. Love those "Connies". With all due respect to Coxpilot, because this photo is 1957, isn't the flight circle already there to the right? Thanks Major. P.S. Did you find any cool stuff at the paper show?

Unknown said...

Besides the inherent dangers of the Skyway... ;)

I love seeing the shots from above, especially how the outside world was able to encroach upon the park.

Major Pepperidge said...

The Flight Circle is there, hidden behind the trees. It is hard to see though.

Viewliner, I didn't have much luck at the paper show, got a few cool old luggage labels (Russian ones) and some postcards. But I couldn't stay too long because the girl I went with didn't feel well.

Anonymous said...

Don't hate me for pointing it out. I just gotta do what I gotta do, is all.

"It won't be long until YOU'RE promoted to vice president..."

My work here is done.

Major Pepperidge said...

(sigh).... slitting my wrists....

jedblau said...

Great poster, but was it trimmed and reassembled? That stripe on the rocket is weird, I think, based on other examples of this that I've seen.

Major Pepperidge said...

Hi Jed, nope it's all one original piece! No reassembly. Which stripe do you mean, the one just above the TWA logo? I am curious what looks weird about it to you, since this is the only version I've seen in person. Do you have photos of other examples? If so maybe you can email one to me!

CoxPilot said...

Your right. Circle IS there. I'm just getting old.

jedblau said...

Major, you're absolutely right about the poster. Don't know what I was thinking.