Saturday, November 18, 2006

Disneyland Entrance, October 1960


Hey everybody (all five of you!), I'm back from my two day Disneyland trip. Long story short...we had a great time!

Going there with my family, and especially my young niece and nephews, made me nostalgic for my own childhood visits to my favorite place. Seems like everyone remembers looking for the Matterhorn from the freeway, and the excitement that they felt when it was finally visible. But pulling into the big ol' parking lot really meant that we were THERE.

Even though I was not around when this 1961 image was shot (though I would be very soon!), the whole scenario would have been pretty much the same as my own trips. The hot sun would be beating down on the station wagon, while we kids were piled in the back with a ton of blankets (yep, no seatbelts or car seats for us!). Maybe grandma and grandpa were along for the fun...I sometimes think that my grandfather got a bigger kick out of Disneyland than I did at the time. He obviously loved the place!

Anyway, after parking the car in the vast lot, you would check to make sure you knew where you were parked, ("B for Baloo!"), and then take the little tram to the front gates. I can smell the asphalt and diesel fumes even now! Maybe the train would whistle, always a thrill! Or the Monorail would zoom by, what could be more intriguing to a little kid back then.

Then you paid your admission, grabbed your ticket books, and away you went, under the train tracks and into another world!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I *love* your blog. I visit all the time. Thanks for a great place to be.

Tinker Bell said...

The parking lot was really so much more important than people gave it credit for. All Disneyland memories begin there. Mine are very much as yours. Such great times! The Mickey & Friends structure doesn't quite have "it".

Daveland said...

I remember as a little kid the drive from San Diego to Anaheim - there was absolutely NOTHING in between. Oh how the years have changed! Fantastic slide - love the DLand sign. Would love to hear about your trip - welcome back!

Matterhorn1959 said...

Great post and happy to hear the visit was fun. I am going to the park over Thanksgiving and am really looking forward to seeing Disneyland at Christmas. And Dave- I remember the long drive, but the drive home was always short. As soon as we headed out of the parking lot, I was asleep and would not wake up until we arrived home.

Hannibal8 said...

It's funny how everyone has memories of that imense parking lot. I wonder if kids 20 years from now will have fond memories of the parking structure....
Smoehow I doubt it. Although the big escalators might be considered cool by some kids and terrifying by others. Question; is that the sign John Stamos bought on Ebay? And if so, I wonder where the hec he keeps it.

Tinker Bell said...

I thought he purchased the newer one. The one that was up before DCA came to be. Very cool thing to have! No idea where he would keep it though.