Friday, September 29, 2006

Single-Reel Viewmaster Packets




Last week I posted photos of the scarce 2-reel Disneyland Viewmaster packets. At the risk of being repetative, this week I am posting photos of the even rarer single-reel packets. I didn't even know these existed until I found this set. Inside, they have a copyright of 1958 (the 2-reel set was from 1956). I love the artwork on the packets, each one using its own color. Simple yet still striking!

There are a few unique images found on these reels, such as the Skyway photo seen above (was this taken from one of the castle's turrets?), and the great image of the Tomorrowland Spaceman with the kids.

During my crazy Viewmaster collecting mania, I was so "into" it...wanting every variation. "I need an S6 edition B!" (I'd explain it if it wasn't so boring). And then the madness was over. Can't remember the last time I bought a packet of any kind. Life, she is funny, no?

6 comments:

Matterhorn1959 said...

Wow! I am single reel impressed!

Daveland said...

And there's the dead guy at the burning cabin, ON the bench. I wonder what year he fell off and rolled down the hill?

thepicklebarrel said...

stop showing me things i have to start searching for for!

Hannibal8 said...

Love your pictures. Can I ask you how you get such nice scans from a Viewmaster? I've tried it on my scanner and they always come out dark and grungy looking...

Major Pepperidge said...

hannibal8, I used to have the same problem...now I have a new scanner, and I am able to merely place the Viewmaster disc face-down and scan the thing (at 2400 dpi). I do have to adjust it in Photoshop, but they come out much better than they used to.

Hannibal8 said...

Thanks for the advice. I checked and my scanner only goes up to 1600 dpi. They look a little better, so I'll keep trying...